Your home is the place where you can feel comfortable and safe – but not when the cause of illness is found right in the roof voids, crawlspaces, kitchen counters, bathroom and other areas of the home. We’re talking about mould here, a type of fungi that thrives mostly in moist spaces.
While most people can deal with moulds on a daily basis, they can trigger allergic reactions and cause health problems especially for those whose immune system is weak. The type and severity of health issues can vary from person to person, depending on the type of mould that is present in your environment that you have come in contact with.
There are thousands of species of fungi, and while we can’t exactly identify each of them outright, it pays to understand how they can affect your health and well-being.
The most common effect of exposure to moulds is allergic reactions. When spores are inhaled or come in contact with the skin, it can trigger coughing, runny nose and itchy rashes. Although usually mild, some people may have severe allergic reactions to moulds.
Aside from allergic reactions, respiratory problems may also be triggered in people who are constantly exposed to moulds. This can lead to shortness of breath, chest tightness, asthma attacks and bleeding of the lungs.
Mould can also cause digestive issues, especially when present in the food being eaten. Vomiting and diarrhoea are the more common effects to the digestive system, although in worse cases, it can cause haemorrhage and even damage the liver.
Moulds can affect immunity and weaken the system, and damage the tissues and blood vessels. There are certain types of moulds that are considered as toxic, which can later on result in serious health problems including cancer.
Where Moulds Are Found in Homes
Moisture and oxygen are a requirement for moulds to thrive. They can continue to grow in number when left unmanaged, which also increases the chances of exposure and, in turn, cause health problems to your family.
Most of the time, however, moulds are not easily seen since they linger in crawlspaces, water pipes or under the sink. At Defence Pest and Building Inspection Services, we specifically pay attention to the bathroom, kitchen, roof gutter, windows and sills, and behind fixtures and appliances where moisture might be trapped.
Clearing Away the Moulds
Because moulds can be sitting just about anywhere in your house, there might be areas that you will miss when doing a simple clean up. What our team at Defence Pest and Building Inspection Services suggest is to have your home thoroughly inspected for moulds and other issues, such as pest infestations, so that appropriate steps can be taken to keep your home a liveable and safe place for the entire family.