house plan

Check Before you Dig

For any type of excavation or filling, you may require a permit. You can probably do without a permit if the excavation is at a depth of one metre or less. In a wet area, the rule is 100 mm of top dressing or less before you need to obtain a permit or planning application, depending on what your project entails. Its always best to check with your local council though as the laws regarding excavation and filling can be different.

If you are planning on doing any filling or excavations on your property then you need to be aware that you may need a to submit a planning application, especially if the land is on property that codes apply. These codes are Waterway Code, Wetland Code and Acid Sulphate Soil Code. Definitions for these can be found on the Brisbane City Councils website. There are a few things that need to be looked at when excavating or filling a site. Whether or not the land is subject to flooding and what it can mean for the environment if it does flood. If the site is a waterway, or the type of soil on the property. A Brisbane building inspection professional can come out and check to see if your property meets the code requirements and can assess whether or not you will need a permit for the project. If you are engaging in a large project then its always good to consult with a building inspection professional to make sure you are within legal boundaries with your plans.

Engaging the services of Brisbane building inspectors is a good starting point when undertaking any major back filling or excavation projects. They are qualified to advise you in all aspects of excavation and filling. When you hire backhoe operators and other such persons for your project, you need to make sure you are hiring qualified and licensed operators. Brisbane building inspectors will be able to point you in the right direction as to who to hire. Whether installing a pond, a dam or building a foundation, its always wise to consult professional help and make sure your projects meets council approval. There is nothing worse then getting halfway into a project, only to find that you can’t go any further because of not having proper permits. So check with your local council before proceeding with any excavations or filling projects. It will save you time and money if you do.